Believe it or not, I know what it’s like to be desperate to have people read your work. I also know what it’s like to be utterly broke. As a freelance editor who has children to feed, I don’t give away my services for free. BUT, I do try to make them as affordable as I can.
My qualifications: I received a B.A. in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing from Texas Tech University. I have been working as a freelance writer and editor since 2010. I have been contracted with various marketing companies in the past, as well as doing ghostwriting for a blog here and there. I am currently a correspondence writer with my local newspaper while I work on my own novels. I am working toward becoming a member of the Editorial Freelance Association as well.
For non-fiction, scroll to the bottom.
First, you wonder what kind of fiction I’ll take? My stipulations:
- Must be original work. No fanfiction. (I am looking to help authors with pieces they want to publish. Also, I’m not up on enough fandoms to adequately judge fanfiction. It’s really best for both of us.)
- My strengths are sci-fi, fantasy, young adult, new adult, middle grade, and literary fiction. But I enjoy reading a wider variety as well. I don’t want to read any erotica, and I’m a little nervous about horror. Anything else, I’m open to.
- I only want to read the work of writers who are serious about their craft. I will not put pretty fluff around my feedback. I want to help you be a better writer, and I will not be concerned about hurting your feelings. I’m a professional and I assume that you are also, or at least aspiring to be a professional. If you’re looking for someone to tell you your work is the best thing since Ender’s Game, look elsewhere. I will be honest. But remember, my critique will be coming from a place of love and support.
- Aside from everything I just said, I will also edit non-fiction in the vein of essay, critical work, memoir, self-help, Christian living, and a variety of other things. This will be priced project-by-project, but please, if you have a non-fiction piece you need edited, feel free to email me with an abstract or brief summary (further instructions below).
- If you’re looking for something more comprehensive than editing or critiquing, for the revisions to be made for you, or for straight-up ghostwriting, check out my Writer For Hire page.
I have several packages depending on the level of feedback you want and the length of your work. Let’s start with the basics:
I will read and give you a paragraph of feedback on the intro to your novel. No longer than 750 words. My response will be basic, but I will focus on being as helpful as possible. (This might be a great way for you to see if you like my style of feedback before committing to paying me to read your whole manuscript.)
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work under 5,000 words.
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work between 5,001 and 15,000 words.
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work between 15,001 and 30,000 words.
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work between 30,001 and 50,000
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work between 50,001 and 75,000 words.
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work between 75,001 and 100,000 words.
I will read and give feedback on plot, pacing, character, and voice for any work between 100,001 and 125,000 words.
For these packages, I will give in-depth feedback and advice on plot, pacing, character, voice and grammar*. These include a second read-through, after you edit, to give supplemental feedback for a discounted price off the first read-through.
$10 ($5 for supplementary edit)
Any work under 5,000 words
$20 ($12 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 5,001 and 10,000 words
$45 ($25 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 10,001 and 25,000 words
$50 ($25 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 25,001 and 35,000
$65 ($40 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 35,001 and 50,000 words
$80 ($50 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 50,001 and 65,000 words
$95 ($55 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 65,001 and 80,000 words
$115 ($65 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 80,001 and 100,000 words
$140 ($95 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 100,001 and 120,000 words
$160 ($105 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 120,001 and 140,000 words
$200 ($110 for supplementary edit)
Any work between 140,001 and 160,000 words
I do non-fiction on case-by-case. But here is some general guidelines:
Essay, article, advertisement, brochure, or flier edited for style and grammar under 2,000 words
Essay, article, advertisement, brochure, or flier edited for style and grammar 2,001-5000 words
Essay, article, advertisement, brochure, or flier edited for style and grammar 5001-10,000 words
For creative non-fiction, self-help, and memoir, you can pretty closely follow the fiction guidelines. Contact me for more information
To submit your work, go to my contact page and fill out the form there. Or, if you have general questions, you can email me at email@example.com. I will contact you ASAP (within a week, but likely sooner) to let you know if your piece is something I can take on. From there, I will give you an estimated completion date depending on the length of your work and my current workload.
I accept payment through PayPal and require it before editing begins.
If you’re submitting from Tumblr and wish to have your world crafting featured on Wondrous Worldbuilding’s blog, please mention it in your email and include your Tumblr username. I want to show off your skills!
I love fiction. I love writing. I love working on the craft. And I love helping others improve. That’s why my prices are so low. I wish I could afford to just do it all for free, but I have bills to pay and kids to feed. I appreciate any time someone gives me the opportunity to help them improve their pieces. Please give me the chance to help you!
*In order to edit and make notes on grammar, I will edit the piece in Microsoft Word using its comment feature, thus I will be sending it back in .docx format. If you don’t have a way to read a .docx file and the comments therein, please let me know ahead of time so we can make other arrangements.