Questions for your developing magic system
- What is the source of the magic? How is it accessed?
- Who has access to the magic? Everyone? A select few (chosen, trained, holy)?
- What is the relationship between magic/non-magic people? Why?
- How are magic spells performed? Does one have to do something specific to access it? Why?
- What are the limits?
- (If relevant) Why haven’t magic users taken over the world?
- How does magic interact with the world?
- Can it realistically be used in combat? Can it be defended against?
- What are the effects of use over time?
- Do you want to focus on using familiar terms or original terms in association with your magic? Why?
- How did it evolve from the world as we know it?
- Is it as practical as it is fun?
- Why was it needed?
- Does it accomplish its task in the most efficient way? If not, why?
- How available is this tech for the common person?
- How much training does using/repairing/creating/improving this tech require?
- Does this tech require an element or advancement that doesn’t exist?
- Has this technology truly improved quality-of-life for the people?